What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade is a global movement represented by the Fairtrade foundation in the UK. The fairtrade foundation is an independent non-profit organisation. Fairtrade sets social, economic and environmental standards for companies, farmers and workers. Including protection of workers rights and the environment as well as ensuring payment of a minimum price for the product. All products that are fairtrade certified carry the fairtrade logo.
Why should you support Fairtrade?
- There are more than 1.65 million farmers and workers in fairtrade certified producer organisations.
- There are fairtrade organisations across Asia, South America, Australasia and Africa.
- The Fairtrade Minimum Price ensures farmers are paid a fair wage and are able to become more self sufficient.
- Fairtrade improves access to agricultural services like organic training and premium markets. As a result farmers have an incentive to farm better and sell more.
- Additional income through the Fairtrade Premium is supporting better farming, strong cooperatives and investment in collective assets to improve crops and yields.
- The Fairtrade Standards help to protect the environment. It covers greenhouse gas emission reduction, soil and water quality, pest management, biodiversity protection, prohibition of genetically modified organisms and harmful chemicals and waste management.
- Fairtrade can provide access to finance, producer support and expertise in tackling climate change, supporting long-term environmental sustainability.
- Fairtrade can support workers to realise their rights and negotiate the terms and conditions of their work through trade unions and collective bargaining.
Noah's Ark tries to source all of its products where possible from Fair Trade suppliers.
Our Fairtrade products include:
- Master Roasters fairtrade coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Tate & Lyle fairtrade syrups for hot drinks
- Juice Burst Fairtrade Orange and Apple juices
- Litchfileds fairtrade decaf and herbal teas and fairtrade sugar sachets