College Work Placements
*Unfortunately we are now full for the 2017/18 program.
However, applications for the 2018/19 programme are still open and we do still have block work experience placements available
Days per week: 1-3
Minimum duration: 4 months
Maximum duration: 1 year
We have been developing our current programme to formalise the education that students receive. We will now be offering a number of sessions over a 6-7 month period, covering topics that link to Animal Care courses and focus on a variety of domestic and exotic species. Topics include General Husbandry, Handling & Restraint, Animal Medication, Careers, and Mock Interviews.
This is an optional element but will be very worthwhile if seeking a career in Animal Care.
Please read the information below before applying.
In order to be considered for this programme you must be:
- 16 years or older
- completing an animal related course which requires work experience (120/300 hours/1 year)
- able to follow instructions effectively
- able to work independently
- hardworking, polite, enthusiastic and ready to get stuck in!
Before being offered a work placement you will be required to:
- attend a trial day
A college work placement at Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm is varied and involves committing to a set period of time. Duties will include assisting with:
- daily husbandry of domestic and farm animals
- helping zoo keepers with food preparation
- care of exotic species (not guaranteed)
- preparation of food and water
- cleaning out animal pens and enclosures
- maintenance of animal enclosures
- animal enrichment
- animal handling, animal shows and educational workshops
Joining our programme offers a unique opportunity to work with a wide variety of animals and join an enthusiastic team. The work is physically demanding, so you will be expected to work hard, whatever the weather. However, it is also fun, and many of the activities are enjoyable and rewarding.
Please note there is a £10 admin fee which covers the induction process. Uniform in the form of a t-shirt is required and will be provided. We ask for facial piercings to be removed before work for health and safety reasons. Please note, the zoo is a no smoking area.
How to apply
To apply for a work experience place with us, please download the application form below and send it to our Work Experience Coordinator, Charlotte Greaves.